Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, September 16, 2011

A Clean Washing Machine

The best cleaning projects for me to accomplish are the ones that are done in steps. These steps require time in-between them, which is awesome for me because I am usually interrupted anyway. So I love it when I can finish a project over the course of a morning or day and see the results, without too much effort or hard work on my part!

Here's my latest find... how to clean my Washing Machine! A clean washine machine will definitely make for cleaner clothes!

Before


I filled my washing machine (on the fullest setting) and added 2 cups of white distilled vinegar. Then I let it soak for 1 hour and started up the machine to complete the cycle. After doing this I scrubbed a little bit with a brush and a sponge (dipped in bleach and/or vinegar) to get some of the hard to reach places and remove some of the fabric softener build-up.

I removed the fabric softener dispenser to expose the filter as well as removing the cap for the bleach dispenser. These two pieces went into a bucket to soak.

Then I filled the machine again and added a cup of bleach to soak for another hour. I let the machine finish its cycle and put the pieces back in and here's what it looks like now. Easy!!! :-)

After:

5 comments:

Beth Meyer said...

I soooo need to do this. Thanks for the inspiration Natta!

Emily said...

Yay! You were brave to show us those before pics. I cleaned my washing machine (at home) earlier this year and loved the results. It was grody. Made me happy to have it not grody.

Natalie said...

I have done it before, but this time it worked better than before with the vinegar, etc. My washing machine gets really gross with hubby's line of work. It's hard to keep it clean! I am thinking this may even have to be something I do once a month (not once a year like is recommended)!

Jamie said...

Thanks for posting this...it's on my new-house-to-do list for this week :)

Natalie said...

Jamie, let me know how it turns out for our Reader Responses post this Friday! :-)