Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, March 17, 2012

She Organizes: Bills Binder

We have recently began using Dave Ramsey's tips from Financial Peace University to get our finances in order and hopefully plan for our family's future in a more responsible way! We are really enjoying all that we are learning and are so excited about our commitment!

This has of course caused lots of changes to the budget, bill paying, decision-making in our house and I sought out ways to make this easier on me [cuz I have a lot to be in charge of these days!!!]

I read about creating a Bills Binder at Echoes of Laughter and thought it would be the perfect solution! I have made my own and would like to share it with you...

I keep my binder by my laptop so that I can grab it whenever I am working on the finances. Here is what the inside of my binder looks like:


Inside Front Cover: Upcoming Bills, To-Dos, Return Address Labels, Other Misc.


Zipper Pouch: Pens, Pencils, WhiteOut, Red Marker, Stamps, Check Book, Envelopes


Calendar Pages: Write the amount of each Bill on the day it is due. I put stickers on the days we will receive a paycheck.


Dividers: Separate the bills into dividers.

The process:
  1. When a bill comes in the mail, take the paystub and the envelope and place them in the front inside cover of the binder. 3-Ring hole punch the statement and file it in the appropriate divider.
  2. Take out a pen and the calendar page. Write the amount to be paid on the date the bill is due.
  3. When it is time to pay the bill, take out the red marker and draw a line through the amount due on the calendar page. Write your check. Place it in the mail (or pay online) and then with the red marker, write "paid" on the statement with the date and amount, if different from the statement.
  4. You're done! You have kept good records. It's all in one place and will be easy to find when tax time rolls around.

P.S. If you are concerned for my safety... the bill pictured above is from an account that is CLOSED since that's the whole point of Dave Ramsey's plan anyway! Yay for us!

P.P.S. You can find free printable calendars HERE.

3 comments:

Betty Jean said...

Good for you! I really like the Dave Ramsey system and have followed that for years. If you stick with it, you'll have good success!

April said...

We love Dave and have been a fan for several years! We are now on Baby Steps 4-6! Do you listen to his daily radio show? When I can't listen live, I download his daily podcast and that keeps me motivated to continue working toward our goals!

Natalie said...

Awesome, thanks ladies!!!