Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

She Considers it Pure Joy

When I was almost 19 years old, I met my stud of a football player turned husband--he, a senior in college and me a measly little freshmangirl. Just a few short months after turning 20, I began my junior year an engaged gal. Married just 25 days after becoming a legal adult, I was now cooking and caring for my very own home, not partying or hanging out with friends. Now a senior, I became a music teacher, working part-time at a local Christian School. Two months post-graduation I found out I was pregnant.

Labeling my launch into homemakerdom and motherhood as a whirlwind is an understatement.

In 2012 we will be celebrating 10 years of wedded-bliss marriage. I edit because to be truthful, the first part of married life has so many ups and just as many humongous downs. For me some of the biggest ones have been recently in caring for our three children. I am not even talking about training up a child, but simply just caring for their physical needs.

Anyone who paused their busy day to read this must know what I am talking about as you stop to wrestle a two-year old down from on top of the bookshelf or hold onto the laptop with one hand and wipe up the coffee the baby kicked over or duck because the seven year old just steamrolled into the house with papers and backpacks flying every which way, wanting to know if he can play down the street. Oh yeah, and hi, mom.

Wait, that's me.

You're still here.

I'll keep going if they let me...

Sometimes it seems like caring for my domain is part of the curse. I mean, come on! Why do I bother sweeping the floor? He's just going to track more mud in anyway! OR Why do I wipe the table? It's just going to be covered in crumbs again before I can even rinse out the rag! OR Does anyone else in this family know how to flush a toilet? OR No, little man, you may NOT take off your diaper and run through the house naked! OR Yes, this is the third shirt I have had to put on today.

It seems like that because it is.

Romans 8:20-21
20For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Doing the Homemaker's Challenge has helped me to see that overcoming this is possible. I was asked to determine what the hope is in the curse. The hope is that the God who gave me this work will also give me a way to complete it. And upon completion of my work, both daily and here on earth, my reward is eternal rest! Thank the Lord there won't be mops in heaven!!!

My thoughts are now focused on the following, as I scrub and fold and wipe and sweep:

Be Gracious (He is young and hasn't learned yet that the milk jug is too heavy and he NEEDS MY HELP to pour!)

Be Willing (to take the time to help my children learn how to take care of their domain.)

Be Consistent (both with my discipline AND my affirmation when things are going well!)

Be Joyful (in caring for my home and my people.)

Be Constantly in Prayer (always asking for strength to complete the tasks.)

Be Thankful (that God gave me these people and this home to care for!)

James 1:2-4

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.


Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!
Homemakers Challenge

5 comments:

Joyce Wik said...

Ah, Natalie. I remember when you were that little one running and spilling. What a patient mother you had then! And now you have become so wise. I'm going to share this with my daughter who has three (with one on the way) ages 6, 4, and almost 2. I have been blessed today by the reminder that each day is a gift from God - regardless of the crumbs and spills and endless housework.

mariah said...

Thanks for this, Sister! Just what I needed as I head upstairs, without having showered today: to fall into my bed that was never made, so that I can be ready at morning's first light to graciously, consistently, willingly, joyfully and prayerfully ready for all my littles. I am thankful to have a wise, and Proverbs 31 - in the making - bestie like you!

Emily said...

Great post. Still applies, even though my babies are 20, 18, and 13 and some of the tasks and worries have changed...

Anonymous said...

Great post! I have to come back by and read it when I have more time to really focus.

Anonymous said...

Every weekend i used to go to see this web site, because i want enjoyment, as this this website conations genuinely
pleasant funny information too.