Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pumpkin-Chip Bread

From Laura...  Yes, it’s true.  I admit it.  I cannot leave well enough alone.  I come across any recipe and I just can’t help myself, I need to change it.  So here’s the BH&G recipe for Pumpkin Bread, with my spin on it.  Okay, I sort of totally changed it.  And I know it’s not Fall, but it’s still cold in the mornings, so force yourselves to enjoy it in spite of the impending Spring.  I know you can do it.
Laura's Pumpkin-Chip Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Makes 2 loaves
You'll need: 
  • 3 cups sugar 
  • 1 cup applesauce (I used homemade, unsweetened) 
  • 4 eggs 
  • 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 cup granola-type breakfast cereal (I used “Nature’s Path Organic Flax Plus Granola”) 
  • 2 tsp. baking soda 
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt 
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon 
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg (I used freshly ground – yum) 
  • 15 oz. canned pumpkin 
  • 1/3 c. dark chocolate chips (semi-sweet is fine, too) 
  • 1/3 c. butterscotch chips (if you don’t like or don’t have, just use 2/3 c. chocolate chips)
  • Optional:  a couple of handfuls of the granola cereal (to put on top just before baking)
In large bowl, beat together, sugar, applesauce and eggs.  Set aside.

 
In another bowl, combine flour, cereal, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg.

Add flour mixture to sugar mixture. 


Beat in pumpkin.  Stir in chocolate & butterscotch chips.


Spoon batter into 2 loaf pans. Just before baking, take a handful or two of the granola cereal and sprinkle it over top of the loaves.


Bake for 55 -65 minutes, until golden brown and set.