Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Make Mexican Chicken & Rice

Okay peeps, here is my FAVORITE easy dish for those crazy busy days...

Mexican Chicken with Rice

This recipe was originally a crock pot idea, but I am going to share how I prepare it for my family.

In the morning I take 1 pound of boneless chicken breasts out of the freezer (do you keep a stockpile of chicken in your freezer? If not, you should! More on that another day...)

I also put just under 2 cups of rice with 2 cups of water in my rice cooker. (This is the amount that works for our family of 5, plus the occasional babysitter who is eating with the kids while I am teaching in the music studio.) My rice cooker has a delay timer, so I can set it and forget it!

After the chicken has thawed enough for me to cut it into cubes, I throw the pieces into a skillet and sprinkle them with cumin and seasoning salt to taste. I cook the chicken until it has just turned from pink to white and then I toss it all into a bowl with 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce. If you want to have less dishes to wash, just pour the enchilada sauce in an 8x8 baking dish and then stir in the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with 4 ounces of shredded cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 10-20 minutes. Scatter with 3 chopped green onions and serve over the rice that has been cooking in the rice cooker!

If you're like me and enjoy making things from scratch, then you have to make this homemade enchilada sauce. It's so good!!! And you can freeze it!