Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, August 12, 2011

Berry Peach Cobbler


If you read my post about canning peaches, you know that I haven't always been a fan of pie. The combo crust and squish just never did it for me. A couple of years ago I decided to try it again and it's tolerable! Mostly because I had some amazing homemade crust. Super important! Once I realized that pies weren't awful, I figured that the deep-dish pie (otherwise known as cobbler) would probably be good too, especially since it involves biscuit dough... and who doesn't like biscuits!

This leads me to sharing my cobbler recipe that I am using with all these peaches I have on hand. I get it out of my $2 flea market score: Joy of Cooking, but I tweaked it just for fun.

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Combine in a saucepan:
3 cups prepared fruit (choose ripened fruit that's in season from your local farmer's market or co-op)
2/3 sugar (don't put this in if you are counting calories or chose an exceptionally sweet fruit)
1 Tbsp flour
Allow these ingredients to boil and thicken on the stove.

While that's hanging out, prepare the "Fluffy Biscuit Dough".

Mix together in a bowl:
3/4 + 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Add:
3 Tbsp chilled butter, cutting into the dry ingredients until well-mixed.
Dump:
1/4 + 1/8 cups milk

Then for extra fluffiness, add:
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

(If you REALLY like biscuit dough, you can double all of that and make the recipe's full batch.)



Some people like the dough under the fruit; I personally like it over because it gets a bit crunchy up on top. So... put the fruit in a dish (8x8 or similar size) and spoon the dough in clumps over your fruit. Dot with a little bit of butter and sprinkle with cinnamon.

As you can see from the picture, I threw in some strawberries here and there for color and general taste factor. Bonus!




Bake the cobbler 30 minutes and then savor all that warm, sweet, goopy goodness!

Don't forget the whip cream!