Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, October 13, 2011

She Eats Breakfast: Oatmeal

Repeat after me:  Oatmeal is awesome.

Here are several ways you can enjoy it:
  • Pure plain.  Cook it up old-fashioned style on the stove or use Quick Oats to save a bit o' time.  If using quick oats, set up the night before:  measure 1/2 c. quick oats into a microwave-safe bowl and leave it on the counter along with your 1/2 c. measure.  In the morning just add 1 c. water , stir, and zap in microwave for about 3 minutes.  Stir again, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if you like and add a splash of milk. Easy!  
  • Enjoy oatmeal with fun flavors out of a little envelope, aka "instant".  My fave is Trader Joe's.  Here's an interesting comparison of some of the best brands.  I like to add even more yummies to my instant oatmeal (since the texture can be a little flat), for ex. dried fruit (cranberries or blueberries depending on the oatmeal flavor) or nuts.  And I always top my oatmeal with a nice spoonful or two of yogurt.
  • Crockpot oatmeal.  Have you tried this?  Please do if you haven't. There are a lot of recipes online and you may even have one your crockpot cookbook...  this one is good and uses steel-cut or Irish oatmeal.
    Yum-O!
    This is TJ's instant cranberry with walnuts added.
    Drizzle with honey if you use plain yogurt.
    What's your favorite way to enjoy oatmeal?

Linking Up With:



 

6 comments:

krissy said...

Yum! We're partial to the steel cut oats with peanut butter and raisins!

Kim @ Eat What You've Got said...

I love oatmeal just about any way you fix it!

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

I've been looking for a crock-pot oatmeal recipe that uses steel cut oats! Thank you so much for linking to the recipe-I will be making this on Monday!

Natalie said...

Jacinda,
Let us know how your crock pot oatmeal turns out! We'd love to share your experience in our Readers' Responses post this Friday!!! Email us @ shewhomakes@gmail.com. :-)

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Oatmeal is such a nutritious choice for breakfast! Thank you for sharing this post with Let's Do Brunch.

Jackie Ladner said...

I absolutely love oatmeal. I have it for breakfast every single morning. It is so filling, inexpensive and easy to make. Many different ways to make oatmeal. Never gets boring. Thanks for the recipe ideas. I am liking you on facebook and sharing your page with my friends.
Jackie Ladner.