Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Mmmmmuffins!

Do you like to schmear peanut butter on your bananas? This is the recipe for you!!!



One of my favorite things to bake are muffins. Lots of flavors and ingredients. I love to see what nutrituous goodness I can hide inside a muffin. The ones I make the most are Banana. This would be because we always seem to have black bananas lying around. I usually stick them in a bag in the freezer until I have enough for a batch or two of bread loaves or muffins! Here is the recipe that I use, with my Peanut Butter Oatmeal Crumble Topping!

Combine in a mixing bowl:
2 cups flour (I use 1 cup each of white and whole wheat!)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon


Stir this up in your mixer until well blended.
In a separate bowl, combine:  
2 eggs  
1/2 cup honey  
1/2 cup applesauce
With a fork, mash 2-3 bananas into the wet ingredients, beat the eggs as you go so that everything is very well mixed.
Mix the contents of both bowls together in your electric mixer until barely combined. Do not over mix.
Now before you drop the batter into the muffin tin, lay the tin on the inside of your dishwasher door and spray it with cooking spray. The dishwasher will catch the extra and wash away in the next cycle! Make sure you spray really well so your beautifully formed muffins come out easily!
Now for the topping!!! In another bowl (sorry to give you so many dirty dishes!) you will combine:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oatmeal
1 tsp flax seed
1 tsp wheat germ
Then take 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup peanut butter and mix those all together with a pastry fork!

Spoon the batter into a muffin tin, filling until all 12 cups are full. Sprinkle your crumble topping all over the muffins until gone. You will make a mess, but that's okay! When you are all finished baking the muffins, you can dump the leftover crumble off the tin into the yard for the dog or the birds to eat! Quicker clean-up that way! Bake these muffins at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. There's something amazing about the smell of peanut butter in the oven... 

My beautiful little helper girl!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh man these look good!!

Natalie said...

To make these sweeter, you can add 1 cup sugar instead of 1/2 cup honey... I was just trying to make them healthier!!!

mariah said...

I think that the muffins look pretty yummy, but the sweet baby girl helper makes it SUPER sweet. No sugar needed. If I make these muffins, does she come with them? :)