Transportation Security Administration (traveling with children)
Federal Aviation Administration (brochure about Child Restraint Systems onboard the airplane)
Travel Tips from Other Parents
Flying With Kids
My favorite tips/information:
- Everything needs to go through security check--so you will need to fold your stroller if you have one and put it through the x-ray machine. You will need to remove all baby accessories and also put them through. You will be asked to carry baby through the metal detector. If your child can walk, it's best to have him/her walk through alone and you follow them. If you are holding your baby in a sling, you may be required to have additional screening.You are not allowed to pass your child to someone else during this process. [Which I find kind of funny... "Here, can you hold this?!" Right... like I am going to pass my child off to some stranger!]
- Juice, formula, breastmilk are allowed on the plane in reasonable amounts exceeding the 3.4 oz limit and do not need to be placed in a ziplock bag. Pack all other toiletries in a quart-sized ziplock bag and put them somewhere in your carry-on that is easy to grab because you will have to put that through the x-ray machine separate from your luggage. Only bring what you need for the trip in your carry-on. If you need more for your trip, pack it in your checked bag.
- Use as many disposable things as possible to make clean-ups easier (diapers, wipes, bottle inserts, bibs, samples of creams, lotions, diaper rash ointment, dirty diaper bags, etc.)
- LOVE THIS ONE! Take 2 diaper pins with you and attach a blanket to the seat back in front of you and to your seat to create a privacy screen for nursing and or keeping baby asleep!
- Store diaper changing needs in a separate sack inside your carry-on so that when it's time to change a diaper, you can just grab that and not your entire bag!
- Dress the children in bright, distinctive clothing so they are easy to spot.
Wear spunky clothes and dark glasses so that other passengers think you are someone famous enjoying quality time with your kids.