Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, April 20, 2012

Some Things I love about the UK

1.  Scones with clotted cream and jam.  (Did I mention that already?)

2.  Small appliances.  The fridge and freezer are half the size of those in America.  The stove and oven are tiny.  The washer and dryer are big enough for only the smallest of loads.  Basically -- everything in this country is smaller, it's true what you've heard.  Bigger is not always better.  Small is often good.  And there's no Thanksgiving Dinner here so the need to cook a turkey, bake five casseroles and heat the rolls, all at the same time, is just not an issue.  (Note:  there may be houses in England somewhere with big appliances, but they certainly are not the norm.)


3.  Walking.  Everywhere.  A lot.  (Public footpaths are cool.)








4.  Sainsbury'sTesco.  Waitrose. (Where the Queen shops, I've been told.)  Marks & Spencer.  I just love UK stores and I love UK food.  With the lack of storage here, most food is freshly prepared and must be eaten up in a few days.  This is another good thing.

5.  Online grocery shopping.  (I know we have that in the U.S. but here people actually do it, and delivery is free on certain days.)

6.  Words like "pop" used as a verb, "flat" used as a noun, and "shop" used as a noun, not a verb.

7.  Yorkshire pudding.

8.  It's not hot here.  (I am making peace with the rain.)

9.  Same language, pretty much.

10.  Scones.

[If you are interested in keeping up with our family's UK adventures, take a look at my travel blog.  I am posting briefly each day, along with a few photos.]

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Oh how I would love to visit!!!