Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, September 28, 2012

Make Chicken Pie for Dinner


Pictured here with my
Freezer Mashed Potatoes (for another day)
I have never been a pie person. Probably have mentioned it once or twice on here before; just not crazy about the crust. I know, strange, right? I do love biscuits, however... so when I came across a chicken "pot pie" recipe that called for a biscuit topping, I just had to try it!!!

Apparently I didn't have a SMALL saucepan...
In a small saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp butter. Add 3 Tbsp flour and mix it together thoroughly. Gradually pour in 1 1/3 cups chicken broth--whisk constantly to prevent lumps. Keep stirring and cooking until it thickens and boils. Add 2 cups of cooked chicken [TIP: When you buy chicken breasts on sale, butterfly fillet them and grill them with seasoned salt -- chop up and store in the freezer!].

At this point I go away from the original recipe because I like things to be as one-pot as possible... so I also throw in some veggies. This evening we had peas in our Chicken Pie. You can pretty much add 1-1 1/2 cups of anything and you'll still be okay with the amount of sauce you created. Anyway, after you have mixed that all together add salt and pepper to taste as well as 1 tsp dried parsley flakes [or 1 Tbsp fresh minced parsley]. Mix it all up and pour it into a pie plate.

Make a biscuit dough:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk

Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture looks like crumbs. Lightly stir in milk until you have a soft [rather sticky] dough. Roll or pat out in a circle, about 1/2-inch thick. Place over chicken in the pie plate. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Serves 4-6.