Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, October 8, 2012

DIY: Instant Oatmeal Packs

I read about another great Homemade Food Prep idea over at Amy Loves Her Life. As you know from some of my previous posts, I love finding ways to make things from scratch and/or things I have lying around. This saves me a lot of money, time and makes me feel better about how I am providing for my family's needs.

My husband has to leave very early for work in the morning, most of the time it's before the rest of us are awake. Every night we prep the coffee pot so that all he has to do is press the button the next morning. He also packs his lunches the night before. I have been trying to come up with some more ideas of things I can do for him to make his mornings go quickly--maybe he can grab a few more minutes of sleep!

Here is what I came up with:  
Instant Oatmeal Packets.
Based on the ideas I read above, I created my own--

1/2 cup oats
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp raisins

Combine and place in sandwich baggies.

I used the oatmeal canister to create a place for him to keep them. I will have to store some of the bags in the pantry and occasionally refill the canister because they all wouldn't fit, but I did it anyway! I covered it with butcher paper and used some leftover sticker letters to help him with the directions for what he will need to do each morning--

Pour the mix into a bowl with 1 cup of milk and microwave for 3 minutes.

I hope he likes it!!! If it goes over well I will try some more varieties next time; adding some nuts or other dried fruits, cinnamon, nutmeg, other various spices, etc. I bet there are tons of possibilities! What way do you like to eat your oatmeal?

No comments: