Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, August 11, 2011

"Rice Krispies Treats" circa 2011

My youngest lives for Rice Krispies Treats.  She adores marshmallows.  Loves loves loves sticky overly-sweet gooey-ness...  I decided to try a less-bad-for-you version the other day and they turned out great! 

Click Here for Printables
Here's what you need:

1/2 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy 'cause that's what I like)
1/2 cup blue agave nectar (OK the recipe I had said "brown rice syrup" which I didn't have -- I had blue agave nectar.  Turns out the nectar is better for you than the syrup, so that's good.) 
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
a pinch or so of salt
8 cups "crisp rice" cereal -- I had a box of special brown rice cereal from the local food market but you could probably use the more well-known brand.
1/2 cup or so of chocolate chips


Stir the first four ingredients together in a pan over medium heat until bubbly.  Add the salt.  Take off the stove and stir in the rice cereal.  Press mixture into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.  Microwave the chocolate chips for a minute or so, stirring until smooth, and then spread the melted chocolate over the top of the cereal mixture.  Cover and place the dish in the fridge until cool and set. 

Works for my sweet-obsessed daughter and not as bad for her as the marshmallow version.

No comments: