Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Gifts from the Basket (Week 8)

Last week the co-op where I get my weekly fruits and veggies took a break for the Thanksgiving holiday. So, we have been doing without for a couple of weeks. But...this morning we picked up our newest load of stuff -- apples, oranges, pears, persimmons, tomatoes, lettuce, radishes, peppers, onions, pineapple, broccoli, and probably more that I can't remember right now. Once again, my wonderful husband put it away before I had even gotten out of bed this morning. Baby had a rough night and I got to sleep in!

Anyway.

So, being that there were more oranges in this week's basket we now have citrus coming out our ears. I still have the grapefruits to eat as well (from previous weeks) and so I am thinking that I will be juicing some of the fruits this week or figuring out a way to preserve them and eat them later on because we can only eat so many snacks of fruit, especially when my husband doesn't even LIKE citrus. It's pretty much the only thing he won't eat.

Therefore.

We are going to try to use items from our basket to give gifts. Today (for our Countdown to Christmas) our activity was "do something nice for someone" and so we baked Orange Bread (and Muffins) and are taking small loaves to our neighbors.

Photo Credit: Simply Recipes
 
Hopefully we can find some other ways to share our good fortune in fresh fruit with those that we love in the coming week.

Now off to find everyone's coats, hats, gloves and scarves so we can go to the Christmas Parade tonight!

No comments: