Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, February 10, 2012

Homemade Hummus

2 - 16oz cans of chickpeas or garbanzo beans [I use 4 cups dried garbanzo beans that I soak for 4 hours, rinse and then cook for 45-60 minutes in my stockpot.]
1/2 cup liquid from the can [Don't have a can? Just add some water!]
6 Tbsp lemon juice
4 cloves of garlic, crushed [I just use powdered garlic, works fine.]
1 tsp salt

Blend the garbanzo beans in a food processor [could use blender] first and then dump in the other ingredients. Just blend until smooth [or the texture that you like!]

You can get fancy and garnish with fresh parsley and olive oil, but I am cheap and don't have those. I just stick it in a tupperware container and we all dig in with our carrot sticks, red pepper spears and crackers. If I had some pita chips, that would be pretty delish, too!

Put half of your hummus in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and the other half in the freezer for up to one month.