Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Make a Healthy Smoothie

In the last few weeks I have been introducing smoothies to my diet! I have been replacing one meal per day with a healthy, filling smoothie for two reasons:

1) To control my calorie intake
2) To make sure I actually eat something! I don't know about you, but I find it difficult to actually sit down and eat breakfast and lunch some days!

Here are my 2 new favorite smoothies--

Green Reset

Two handfuls of baby spinach, 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 cup of yogurt, 5 strawberries, 1/2 orange. Blend well and enjoy.

I use frozen spinach. I peel and dice my apple. I just dump the peeled banana in. I use less yogurt and it still works. I sometimes use some fresh juiced oranges instead. All options work great. You really can't mess it up! Here are some things I like to add:
  • 1 Tbsp of flaxseed meal and/or
  • 1 Tbsp of wheat germ
  • Small handful of almonds
  • 4 ice cubes (I personally like my smoothies REALLY COLD)


Chocolate Protein Shake


Throw everything in your blender and go until it's smooth.
  • 1 1/2 cups cold milk  (The original recipe calls for chocolate milk, but I just use regular.)
  • 2 scoops protein powder (Laura introduced me to Muscle Milk and it's yummy!)
  • 1 banana
  • 1 Tbsp natural peanut butter (I use ground peanuts)
  • 3-4 ice cubes (I use four for sure, 'cause remember I like my smoothies cold!)

Both are filling and healthy! Who knew you could drink up so much good food in under 5 minutes! Good for us busy mamas...