1) To control my calorie intake
2) To make sure I actually eat something! I don't know about you, but I find it difficult to actually sit down and eat breakfast and lunch some days!
Here are my 2 new favorite smoothies--
Two handfuls of baby spinach, 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 cup of yogurt, 5 strawberries, 1/2 orange. Blend well and enjoy.
I use frozen spinach. I peel and dice my apple. I just dump the peeled banana in. I use less yogurt and it still works. I sometimes use some fresh juiced oranges instead. All options work great. You really can't mess it up! Here are some things I like to add:
- 1 Tbsp of flaxseed meal and/or
- 1 Tbsp of wheat germ
- Small handful of almonds
- 4 ice cubes (I personally like my smoothies REALLY COLD)
Throw everything in your blender and go until it's smooth.
- 1 1/2 cups cold milk (The original recipe calls for chocolate milk, but I just use regular.)
- 2 scoops protein powder (Laura introduced me to Muscle Milk and it's yummy!)
- 1 banana
- 1 Tbsp natural peanut butter (I use ground peanuts)
- 3-4 ice cubes (I use four for sure, 'cause remember I like my smoothies cold!)
Both are filling and healthy! Who knew you could drink up so much good food in under 5 minutes! Good for us busy mamas...