Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Canning Tomatoes: Salsa (Episode 2)

My second favorite thing to can is Salsa! I use it a lot in recipes and it makes me feel so thrifty to just run to my pantry, not the store, for a jar of the good stuff.

This year I am using my very good friend (and wife of my pastor) Erin's recipe. She makes the best Fresh Salsa for gatherings at her house and everyone is always raving about it. It's gooooood.

Here is her recipe for a fresh batch. I just made a larger batch for canning. You can make hers if you want to enjoy it for dinner at night (or right now!)... or you can double, triple, quadruple (whatever) and can it! Details on that below...

28oz of crushed tomatoes (equivalent to about 3 1/2 cups or 7 medium-sized romas)
If you are using fresh tomatoes (not canned) you will most likely want to remove the skins by boiling the tomatoes for 1 minute and then shocking them in ice water so their skins will fall off!!!
1 chopped onion (or more if you don't mind onion breath)
1 jalapeno (or more if you like it spicy)
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
2 cloves of garlic (or 1 tsp)
1 tsp salt

Pulse it in your food processor or throw it in your blender depending on how smooth or chunky you like it. My hubby likes chunks so I actually diced the tomatoes by hand. That is how much I love him.

What do you think? Got any chips?



So at the time of making this salsa my food scale's battery was dead and so I can't give you exact amounts, but basically I "eye-balled" it and tripled Erin's recipe (above) for 3 quarts of salsa. I had a little bit leftover that we ate that night. After I mixed everything together I added 1 large orange bell pepper for some sweetness and a pop of color. Then I poured everything into my stock pot and brought it up to a boil. Once it was boiling hot, I poured it into my sanitized, HOT jars, filling with 1/2 inch headspace at the top, sanitized lid on top, ring, tighten... dropped into my canner for 25 minutes. Now I have some to enjoy now and some for later!!!

No comments: