Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, October 17, 2011

She Enjoys the Harvest (Week 4)

Unfortunately we don't have a picture with this week's basket contents. I was at the baby shower when hubby went to pick up our basket and I can't complain that he put everything away before I got home to take a picture, can I?! :-)

We received: bananas, plums, apples, pears, avacados, grapes, garlic, cucumber, lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. I was excited to see fresh garlic and avacados the most!


We had leftover cut up fruits and veggies from the baby shower (Saturday) so for lunch on Sunday after church I just threw together a platter of snacks for us to munch on when we felt hungry. It's always nice to not have to rush around Sunday morning before church and make lunch or feel stressed out to have something to eat right away when we get home. We drive 45 minutes to get to our church, so it's hard with little ones getting sleepy in the car on the way home, etc.... I have found that a light-snacky lunch followed by a big dinner around 5:30pm is just what we need!


Saturday afternoon I cooked up all of the corn on the cob from last week's basket (we had 14 ears total from getting a double basket and used 2 with the Tortilla Soup)... so 12 ears left made for these three bags of corn. All I did was cook up the corn cobs, cool them, slice a flat bottom so that I could stand the ears up on end and then run my knife down the side of each cob. I dumped the kernels into a big bowl and broke them up with my hands. I divided the 12 ears of corn into four quart-sized bags of 3 cups each. Into the freezer and we will enjoy the taste of fresh corn four times this coming month! Yay!

Lastly, we do not plan on ordering a basket this week... we have plenty left from previous baskets and with our garden finishing up we want to try to use what we have so we don't let anything go to waste. So, no menu planning post will go up this Saturday, but I will continue to share some of my recipe ideas using fresh veggies, etc.

No comments: